Why I like the Garden awards.

The Port Coquitlam Garden Club & the City of Port Coquitlam have kicked off their Fourteenth Annual Pride of PoCo Garden Awards. The categories for nomination are

• single-family residence
  • multi-family residential development
  • balcony garden
  • businesses

Nominations form can be picked up at any city facility or garden supply businesses in Port Coquitlam, or on-line at the City’s website. All nominations will be accepted up until July 16th, 2010.
This is my second year being nominated for this award. It’s quite a thrill! Last year I was due to give birth to my youngest babe the same week as the judging, which was also during a heat wave! So honestly I did very little work in the garden. The Judges got to come enjoy my wild messy front yard. This year however I have the benefit of time, and my own sweat labour. I’m going to give it my all. We will see what happens.
There are so many beautiful gardens in Port Coquitlam. I have no delusions of wining. But I do so look forward to the contest. Things like this help push the garden forward. Taking a critical eye at my handy work, I will be making lists this weekend. Things that need to change. What I like, what I don’t like. What stays, what goes. I have a few projects in mind already.
At the end of the day, my garden will be better for it. I will have pushed my own boundary’s, and the big winner will be a moot point. So I’d like to thank who ever it was that nominated my garden this year! It was a wonderful sight to come home to that little sign. Coincidentally on my birthday 🙂 You rock!

This entry was posted in Front Garden, Port Coquitlam. Bookmark the permalink.

14 comments on “Why I like the Garden awards.

Congratulations! What a wonderful surprise and such a great compliment of your gardening prowess. I completly agree about the contest side of things – I signed myself up for a Beautification contest this year and it's been a great source of inspiration. I've got clear goals in mind and have been more diligent about getting things done than I would have otherwise.

2. danger garden on said:

Well that is very cool, what a great thing to be nominated and to find out by coming home to a sign in your yard! Congrats and good luck!

@Marguerite I'm a great procrastinator! A deadline like this keeps me in my place!@Danger Garden thanks! It was a sweet sight to come home to!

4. Northern Shade on said:

Congratulations on being nominated for the garden awards. It will be inspiring to have a date to be working towards as you plan, plant. and garden. You have a lot of individuality in your garden, with a unique design and shape in your front bed. Good luck.

5. Anonymous on said:

How much of the pathway was there last year?I know you said you had a drainage problem so I presume it it new? Don't know too much about the history of your garden as only started following the blog and have not looked at too many of the archives yet.

@Northern Shade you know the problem with uniqueness right? Lol! You either like it or you don't 🙂 Thanks though! I like going against the grain on occasion!@Anonymous it depends which path your talking about. The one in the garden that hooks up with the patio was put in in the spring of 2009 (thank you hubby!) the rock that comes up the driveway was done in the spring of 2008, which is when I started blogging. Attached is a link of my first post, which gives a brief history of our digging. Thanks for reading! http://whatgrowshere.blogspot.com/2008/04/welcome-to-my-garden.html

7. Way to go! Your garden looks awesome 🙂 We have very informal garden awards here. They involve disabled people to paint daffodils and some city people walk around and hand them out. I received one a few years back, it is exciting isn't it!

8. Lynne on said:

Congratulations on your nomination! This alone says a great deal about your garden. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

@Dan it is exciting! Your city's informal garden awards sound neat!@Lynne thanks! I think it was one of my neighbor's that nominated me. They are just happy the front is no longer a pile of gravel!

10. Dirty Girl Gardening on said:

Those foxgloves are incredible…. so tall!

@Dirty Girl Gardening They are! That one was taller than me, and I'm 5'8. I don't think it's fully extended yet either!

12. Mike on said:

Congratulations on the nomination; it's obviously well deserved. If I still lived in Poco you'd definitely get my vote!

@Mike Awww thanks!

14. Heather on said:

That's awesome, it's nice to be recognized for all your hard work.